The Petri Net Kernel provides an infrastructure for bringing
ideas for analysing, for simulating, or for verifying Petri Nets into
action; viz. for integrating the idea into a tool. At the moment there
is a python and a java implementation
of the Petri Net Kernel available. The new
version 2.2 of the java implementaion can now be downloaded.
In addition there are new
tools for the Petri Net Kernel 2.2 available. At the bottom
of this page you find a summary of all PNK version.
The original python version of the
Petri Net Kernel has been re-implementing the with Java.
The last version of our java implementation (version 2.2) is available
in the download area, now.
The Java version of the PNK supports of course many of
the features of its predecessor. In addition there are a lot of new features:
- Applications for certain net types can easily be implemented
and by means of a ToolSpecification (XML description of the used applications)
be integrated into the program.
- An ApplicationControl manages all applications under
a common environment.
- Petri nets can be loaded and saved in
PNML, a language for the description of petri nets based on XML.
- It's easier to create and handle the net types, because
of a new simple interface (also an XML description).
- A common simulator for all net types makes simulation more comfortable.
- Many useful standard applications, like an editor, a simulator, etc.
are part of the PNK package.
Since the new version 2.2 is out now, here are some new
features of this version:
- extended and more simple application interface
- applications are able to be started as thread
- every PNML file can be viewed and edited, even if the net type is
- some new tools are available for the
PNK version 2.2
- configurable editor: color and dimension of net objects (places, transitions,...)
can be configured
- support of parametrized net types
For more information about the new Petri Net Kernel please
check this tutorial.
The Petri Net Kernel is implemented in the object oriented
and interpreted programming language Python .
The Petri Net Kernel provides methods to manage, read and
modify Petri Nets. With the methods of the Petri Net Kernel you are able
- load and save nets
- insert and delete elements of the Net ( places, transitions,
- write inscriptions
- request the structure of the Net
The Petri Net Kernel is not restricted to a fixed Petri
Net type or a fixed set of Petri Net types. The basic Petri Net Types
are distributed wit the Petri Net Kernel - but you can define your own
Petri Net types.
The Petri Net Kernel comes with an editor for Petri Nets.
| PNK version
|| implemented in
|| available in download section?
| PNK 1.0
| PNK 1.1
| PNK 2.0
| PNK 2.0.1
| PNK 2.0.2
| PNK 2.0.3
| PNK 2.alpha
| PNK 2.1
|PNK 2.2 *
*) this is the actual version of the Petri Net Kernel
The Petri Net Kernel is developed by the Research Group Petri Net Technology